Dal is a staple for Indians. We use different lentils & veggies to make delicious dal. The variations of making dal change from place to place. In this recipe I'm sharing a north indian style dal which bonds along with rice & roti/chapati very well.
I believe in not combing spinach & tomatoes as they form stones in kidneys.Maybe it is just an assumption still why take a chance, right ?
1Cup moong dal
2Cups chopped spinach
1/2Cup water (optional)
1Tsp chili powder
1/2Tsp sugar (optional)
Salt for taste
1Tbs chana dal & urad dal
Directions- Cooking dal is a easy process if you have a pressure cooker.
- To cook dal take it in a vessel with lots of water and clean it well.
- Now add moong dal to pressure cooker with 1&1/2 cups of water and cook it for 2 whistles.
- If you are planning on cooking it on stove top. It might take 3 to 4 cups of water for 1 cup moong dal & need continuos observation too.
- While the dal is being pressure cooked heat a pan with oil add mustard & jeera.
- Once the mustard starts jumping then add channa dal & urad dal. Fry them for 1min then add garlic & onion to the pan & fry them translucent.
- Now add chopped spinach to pan & fry them.Here you add salt,chillipowder & turmeric to pan.
- Meanwhile the dal is cooked so add it to the pan & cook it at low temp for 10mins.
- If required add little water at a time to the pan. Cooking this way will make flavors to mingle with each other perfectly.
- Sprinkle sugar on cooked dal & mix it.
- Serve dal & rice with a dollop of ghee & it tastes heaven.
- You can add 2 tomatoes to enhance the flavor.
- While using pressure cooker be carful. Allow the cooker to cool down before opening it.
Follow me on "Facebook", "Google+", "Pinterest" for daily updates. Leave me a comment on any queries regarding this recipe & I will be able to answer it for you as soon as possible.