Thursday, December 18, 2014

Beetroot Sukka

Beetroot Sukka
Sukka is a Mangalorean side dish. This dish is a blend of dal, spices & coconut mixture. In my research for a Mangalorean dish I discovered that Sukka is mainly a non-vegetarian dish & has different versions too. 
The version I tried is very similar to the curry I use to have in Bangalore restaurants. At that time for me any curry that is sprinkled generously with coconut was a palya & nothing else. Eventually when food blogging became part of my life I was enlightened with all the different versions of them. I came across two versions of this recipe & tried to re create the dish with my sweet memories from Bangalore. 
I like to grate carrots & beetroots as they cook fast rather than when they are chopped. I'm against to boiling vegetables as they loose the nutritional values so went a head with grated beetroots as they cook fast, but you can use chopped pieces to make this curry. This curry is comforting & delicious. You would love to make it many more times for sure. Enjoy!!!

Beetroot Sukka
Adapted from here & here.
Prep Time-8hrs + 10mins {soaking dal+prepping}
Cook Time-20mins
Serves-2People
Pair this curry with rice & chapati. 
Ingredients 
2Cups grated or chopped beetroot
2Tbs black channa dal/kala chana {soaked overnight}
1Tsp tamarind pulp
1Tsp jaggery
Salt to taste
For seasoning/Tadka/Popu
3Tsp oil
1Tsp mustard
Few curry leaves
2Red chili's broken in to half
To grind 
1/2Cup {fresh or dried}
1Tsp coriander seeds
3Garlic cloves
2Tsp jeera
4Red chili's
Directions
- As mentioned above soak chana overnight.
- Heat pan with oil. To that add mustard, red chili's & curry leaves. Once the mustard starts jumping add in soaked chana to pan. Cook with a close lid for 5mins.
- Add in beetroot & enough salt. Cook with a closed lid for 10mins.
- Meanwhile dry roast coriander seeds, jeera & red chili's to brown in color. Cool them before grinding.
- Grind garlic & roasted ingredients to smooth powder. Next add in coconut & grind coarsely.
- By now beetroot would be cooked perfectly. Mix tamarind & jaggery to curry.
- Next add in grind mixture to pan & mix them well. Cook on low heat for 5 mins. Switch off heat.
- Sukka is ready to serve.
Beetroot Sukka
Follow me on "Facebook", "Google+", "Pinterest", "Instagram" for daily updates. Leave me a comment on any queries regarding this recipe & I will be able to answer it for you as soon as possible.

8 comments:

  1. Very colorful and delicious to look at beetroot recipe.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a healthy beets dish..nice one..

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kind of dish, i can have this catchy sukka with rice anytime..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mm mm ... This wit tomato rasam is heaven !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Addition of chana is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully presented dish with a very vibrant and stunning color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natural and healthy dish. Check my site , i too have some good recipes.

    ReplyDelete