Sunday, April 20, 2014

Dalma {Orissa Dish}

Dalma

Dalma is a classic Orissa dish, which is made of dal & vegetables cooked together along with mild spices. This dish is mildly spiced & tastes perfect along with rice & chapati. While doing a research on this dish I came to know that this dish is offered to "Lord Jagannatha", though it would be a onion less version. 

Dalma
Prep Time-10mins | Cook Time-30mins | Serves-2people
Adapted from: Oriya Food & Recipe
Ingredients 
1/4Cup + 2Tbs toor dal {kandi pappu}
1Cup water
1Medium onion chopped
3Brinjals chopped in to cubes
1Medium potato chopped in to cubes
1Cup bottle guard chopped in to cubes
1/4Tsp turmeric 
2Tsp panch phoran mix {mustard, jeera, kala jeera, fennel, fenugreek seeds}
2Red chili's cut equally
2Bay leaves
2Tbs grated coconut
1Tbs ginger chopped
Coriander for garnish
1Tbs ghee
Salt to taste
To grind 
1Tsp jeera 
5Red chili's 
Directions
- Wash dal with lots of water. Pressure cook it along with potato & bottle guard for 2 whistles. Switch off heat & allow it to cool.
- Mean while in a pan dry roast cumin & red chili's till cumin turns slight dark. Switch off heat & allow it to cool. Grind it to a powder & keep aside. 
- Heat pan with ghee, to that add red chili's, turmeric & panch phoron mix. Later add ginger & bay leaves. 
- Stir for few seconds & add onions to pan. Add brinjal to pan. 
- Close pan with lid & cook brinjal till they are done. 
- Now transfer dal to pan. Add salt & jeera chili mix to dal & mix well.
- Cook for 2mins & garnish with coconut. Switch off heat.
- Serve along with rice & chapati / roti.
Note
- The recipes I was checking for are asking for Pumpkin & raw banana, which weren't it available for me, so do add them for better taste.
- You wont see coriander in my dish image, as there was none left in my kitchen. Use it while your are making this dish.

Dalma
Follow me on "Facebook", "Google+", "Pinterest" for daily updates. Leave me a comment on any queries regarding this recipe & I will be able to answer it for you as soon as possible.

 



21 comments:

  1. Garnishing with coconut looks so good and new..Even I had plans of making a dalma..but couldn't..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dalma is new dish for me, and looks every bit palettable, lovely pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. well decorated with the coconuts!!! so beautiful and eye appealing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dalma looks very flavorful with all those vegetables and spices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daalma looks really good and very inviting. .with amazing clicks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super comforting dalma, love this thick dal, i prepared a dalma but mine is different from yours..Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dalma is new to me but it looks like a healthy filling dish. Nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hearty & delicious dal based dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a delicious dhal. Super inviting clicks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks very different and interesting! Lovely presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds new to me,looks so flavorful and delicious...loved the way you garnished the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the pics. I too made dalma but the picture was so very bad that I do not plan to blog it. I loved your pics and the recipe too. Thanks to you I will retry making it and take hopefully better pics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great veggie dish - and with coconut to be enjoyed for sure

    ReplyDelete
  14. very comforting and delicious dalma , very interesting and flavorful :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice clicks and lovely dish too...

    ReplyDelete
  16. dalma looks lovely.. the shredded coconut adds a nice touch

    ReplyDelete
  17. dalma looks so beautiful. I too made dalma but the pics were so awful I made something else.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too made dalma and love your version of this protein dish too.

    ReplyDelete