Kimchi is not a vegetarian dish as it has fish sauce, but it can be made vegetarian by avoiding the sauce from it. I made Cucumber kimchi or Oi Kimchi where Oi means Cucumber in korean. This is a instant kimchi that is enjoyed by koreans mostly in summer. I got this recipe from here & loved it as it tasted.
1Big Cucumber / 2cups bite size chopped cucumber
1Cup chopped onions
3Scallions / spring onions
2Garlic pods chopped or minced
2Tsp sea salt / rock salt
2Tsp red chili powder / cayenne pepper powder (Adjust according to your spiciness)
1Tbs sesame seeds
- Wash & clean wipe the cucumber before cutting it in to pieces. Now cut them to bite size pieces.
- Chop the scallions in to equal pieces & keep aside.
- In a wide pan take cucumbers, scallions, onions & garlic.
- Now add salt, vinegar, chili powder, sugar & sesame seeds.
- Mix them well using spatula & kimchi is ready.
- Transfer kimchi to a air tight container & allow it to ferment for 8hrs.
- After 8hrs refrigerate it & enjoy it along with rice.
- You can avoid fermenting and enjoy the dish as it is.
- It stays good for 1 week when refrigerated.
Follow me on "Facebook", "Google+", "Pinterest" for daily updates. Leave me a comment on any queries regarding this recipe & I will be able to answer it for you as soon as possible.